An index of the Galapagos Islands and their characteristicsHere you'll find an index of the leading Galapagos Islands and a few typical info on the size and kinds of species discovered on Each individual.
1.Baltra (South Seymour) Island – Also referred to as South Seymour, Baltra is a little flat island close to the middle in the Galápagos. Baltra Airport is among two airports. Personal planes fly to Baltra, as it is the only airport with services for planes overnight. A little bay accommodates the boats awaiting passengers for that cruises from the Galapagos.
two. Bartolome (Bartholomew) Island – A volcanic islet just off the east Coastline of Santiago Island. One of many "young" islands. This island is probably the few that is certainly home to your Galapagos penguin, the only wild penguin species to continue to exist the equator. The green turtle also resides to the island.
3. Darwin (Culpepper) Island – Named immediately after Charles Darwin. It has a location of 1.one sq. kms. Fur seals, frigates, marine iguanas, swallow-tailed gulls, sea lions, whales, maritime turtles, and crimson-footed and Nazca boobies is often noticed below.
4. Espanola (Hood) Island – Named in honor of Spain and often known as Hood, after Viscount Samuel Hood. It truly is 60 square kms and also the oldest and many southern in the islands (approx three.5 million yrs). Because of its distant location, the island has a lot of its have species of lava lizard, mockingbirds and tortoise.
The marine iguanas show a definite crimson coloration transform throughout the breeding year. It is the only spot where by the waved albatross nests. The islands steep cliffs are an ideal spot for birds to take off for their ocean feeding grounds. Espanola has two customer sites. Gardner Bay for swimming and snorkeling, offers a good beach. Punta Suarez has migrant, resident, and endemic wildlife.
5. Ferandina (Narborough) Island – Named in honor of King Ferdinand eleven of Aragon, who sponsored the voyage of Columbus. An area of 642 square kms The youngest and westernmost island. Many hundreds of marine iguanas Get, predominantly on black lava rocks. The renowned flightless cormorants inhabit this island, as do Galapagos penguins, pelicans, Galapagos sea lions, and Galapagos fur seals. Below you can see lava flows and mangrove forests.
6. Floreana (Charles or Santa Maria) Island – Named just after Juan Jose Flores, the primary President of Ecuador. It's got an area of 173 square kms. Among the list of first for being inhabited. Flamingos and inexperienced sea turtles nest on the island. The Galapagos petrel, a sea chicken, is observed in this article. At Publish Business office Bay, whalers saved a wooden barrel that acted like a article office for mail. An underwater volcanic cone and coral formations can be found with the “Satan's Crown”.
seven. Genovesa (Tower) Island – Named for Genoa, Italy exactly where Columbus was born. An spot of fourteen sq. kms. This island is the edge of a large submerged crater. Nicknamed “fowl island” for the various rare birds that may be witnessed there. You will find a significant Palo prevod sa italijanskog na srpski jezik Santo forest.
8. Isabela (Albemarie) Island – Named in honor of Queen Isabela. With a place of four,640 sq. kms it is actually the largest island in the Galapagos. The island was designed because of the merging of 6 big volcanoes into one land mass. Galapagos penguins, flightless cormorants, maritime iguanas, pelicans and Sally lightfoot crabs abound. The island has an interesting lowland vegetation. The 3rd greatest inhabited island, and the one island to provide the equator operate through it.
9. Marchena (Bindloe) Island - Named right after Fray Antonio Marchena, it's a location of a hundred thirty sq. kms. Home of Galapagos hawks, sea lions and also the Marchena lava lizard, an endemic animal.
10. North Seymour Island – Named for Lord Hugh Seymour, an English Nobleman. It's a location of one.nine sq. kms. Fashioned by a geological uplift, it is house to several species of birds. North Seymour is a rare spot for breeding birds.
eleven. Pinzon (Duncan) Island – Named once the Pinzon brothers, captains of your Pinta and Nina sailing ships, it's got an area of 18 square kms.
12. Pinta (Abingdon) Island – Named after the Pinta sailing ship, with a place of 60 square km. Sea lions, Galapagos hawks, big tortoises, maritime iguanas, and dolphins is often found in this article.
thirteen. Rabida (Jervis) Island – Named for the convent exactly where Columbus left his son in the course of his voyage for the Americas. It's a location of four.nine square kms. Iron contained inside the lava offers it a particular red colour. White-cheeked pintail ducks are in a saltwater lagoon. 9 species of finches have already been claimed on this island.
14. San Cristobal (Chatham) Island – Named for your patron saint of seafarers, St. Christopher. Chatham was provided for William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham. A place of 558 square kms. This island hosts frigate birds, sea lions, large tortoises, blue- and crimson-footed boobies, tropicbirds, marine iguanas, dolphins, and swallow tailed gulls. The islands has the largest freshwater lake inside the archipelago, Laguna El Junco. The island has the next airport inside the islands and Puerto Baquerizo Moreno within the island may be the money in the province of Galapagos.
15. Santa Cruz (Indefatigable) Island – Named for your Holy Cross in Spanish, its English title originates from the British vessel HMS Indefatigable. It has an area of 986 square kms. Santa Cruz has the largest population. The Charles Darwin Research Station and the headquarters of the Galapagos Countrywide Park Company can be found below. The Highlands are well known for that lava tunnels. Substantial tortoise populations are observed below. Black Turtle Cove is surrounded by mangroves, with sea turtles, rays and modest sharks.
sixteen. Santa Fe (Barrington) Island – Named for the metropolis in Spain, with a place of 24 square kms. Santa Fe hosts a forest of Opuntia Cactus.
17. Santiago (San Salvador, James) Island – Named for Saint James in English, also called San Salvador, soon after the main island found out by Columbus. The island has an area of 585 square kms. Maritime iguanas, sea lions, fur seals, land and sea turtles, flamingos, dolphins and sharks prevod sa italijanskog na srpski are found listed here. At Sulivan Bay, a lava circulation is often noticed.
18. Wolf (Wenman) Island – Named for German geologist Theodor Wolf. It has an area of 1.3 square kms. Listed here, fur seals, frigatebirds, Nazca and purple-footed boobies, maritime iguanas, sharks, whales, dolphins and swallow-tailed gulls is usually noticed. The vampire finch, which feeds partly on blood pecked from other birds, and is just identified on this island.
19. Daphne Important – A little island immediately north of Santa Cruz and west of Baltra, this incredibly inaccessible island seems, nevertheless unnamed, on Ambrose Cowley's 1684 chart. It can be crucial as the location of multidecade finch population studies.
20. South Plaza Island (Plaza Sur) – Named in honor of former president, General Leonidas Plaza of Ecuador.. It has an area of 0.13 square kms. The flora of South Plaza includes Opuntia cactus and Sesuvium plants, which variety a reddish carpet in addition to the lava formations. Iguanas are considerable, and huge figures of birds could be observed from the cliffs.
21. Anonymous Island – A little islet utilised generally for scuba diving.